Recipes: Crispy Strips
*Ask an adult for help
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Healthy Meter: 2/3
- 1 ½ lbs (680 g) boneless, skinless turkey breast or chicken
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- ⅔ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- ¼ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp garlic powder
- ¼ tbsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Place coconut and sesame seeds in a small dry frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook until light brown, stirring often. Careful not to burn them.
- Put the toasted coconut and sesame seeds into a small pie plate or shallow dish and let cool.
- Add breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, hoisin sauce and sesame oil. This is your marinade.
- Cut the turkey/chicken into strips - about 1" x 4" (2.5 x 10 cm).
- Add the strips to the marinade and toss to coat.
- Cover and put into the fridge for 30 mins or leave overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF or 230ºC.
- Shake extra marinade from the turkey/chicken strips and roll in the crumb mixture.
- Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spray tops of strips with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 6 mins.
- Remove from oven and turn the pieces over. Spray the other side with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 4 more minutes, until coating is lightly browned and turkey/chicken is cooked through.