Treble Clef Pretzels
Recipes: Treble Clef Pretzels
*Ask an adult for help
Prep Time: 1.5 hours
Cook Time: 24 minutes
Makes: 6 pretzels
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 ¼ cups unbleached bread flour
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted, melted butter
- Sea salt (optional)
- Pour the lukewarm water into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, the 1 ½ teaspoons of salt, and 2 cups of the flour. Stir the mixture till it's well mixed.
- Stir in the remaining flour, ¼ cup at a time (you might not need it all). Mix into a semi-firm dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for about 6 minutes, dusting the surface with flour as necessary so the dough doesn't stick.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and roll it around to coat its entire surface. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm place until the dough is nearly doubled in volume, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet and preheat the oven to 450°.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour-dusted surface and knead for 1 minute. Divide into 6 equals parts and shape each into a ball let rest for 5 minutes on a flour-dusted surface.
- Roll each ball under your palms and outstretched fingers until it's about 3 feet long and ½ inch thick.
- Shape each dough rope into a Treble Clef. Place a maximum of three of them on a baking sheet. Leave as much space between them as possible.
- Stir the hot water and sugar together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the sugar water over your treble clef pretzels and top them with a bit of coarse salt. Set the pretzels aside for 10 minutes.
- Bake the pretzels on the center oven rack for about 6 minutes, then rotate the sheet 180 degrees and bake for another 6 minutes or until they're golden brown.
- Transfer the baked pretzels to a wire cooling rack, and place the remaining three in the oven.
- Using a pastry brush, brush melted butter over the pretzels. Let the pretzels cool for a bit, but enjoy them while they're warm.